Monday, November 24, 2008

To renovate or not to renovate

So I have been trying to decide if we should do a little renovating at our house. One of the things I don't like about my house is that it doesn't have an open floor plan. I can't open it up completely because of the placement of my stairs. But I have been considering opening it up as much as possible.
This is from my kitchen. I could tear down the wall to about banister height. (The black line.)







This is from my family room. The black box is what would be gone. I'm not sure if the beam would have to stay or not. Cody needs to check to see if it is load bearing. I can't go all the way across either because of my pantry.








This is what it looks like now.


Would I love it, or hate it? Let me know what you think.

8 comments:

Jade, Maclee, Briten & Jalee said...

I think you would love it Jesse Loveless's moms house had the same thing and it looks way better without the wall. she tore heers out a couple of years ago

The Painters said...

I think you would definitely love it! I love our open floor plan, I feel like I can be included in the happenings in the family room while I'm in the kitchen! I think you should go for it!

Jaime Stephens said...

I say go for it!

Adrie said...

I would love it, but my cousin hates hers because she doesn't keep her kitchen very clean ans she says she is always so embarrased when people come to her house. You should do it!

lynsie said...

You should do it. For sure. It won't hurt the value at all and most people prefer a kitchen open to the family room. You probably won't be able to see the sink from the front door, which is the one real estate complaint that I have heard the most from picky people, but even if you can as long as you keep your house clean it doesn't matter. You will love it when Milo gets a little older too. I would do it. Let me know if Cody needs adams help with the project.

Josh & Kenz said...

I think you would like it being open. I never cooked in my Provo house when I had a wall like that. But now I can watch TV and Reggie while I cook. Go for it!

The Hardings said...

GO FOR IT EMILY!!!!

Hayley said...

Ripper Down!