Saturday, August 29, 2009

West Fork Fourth of July

My grandma Jean's family were sheepherders in the Uinta's on the West Fork permit. My grandma used to spend her summers up there throughout her childhood. In 1937 her father, Roy Okelberry, built a cabin for the family to live in during the summers. It is one of the only remaining cabins in the area. My family spends the Fourth of July at the cabin every year. I would prefer being at the cabin over a parade or firework show any day! It is the most beautiful place and holds so many wonderful childhood memories for me. I hope that my children will be able to enjoy the cabin as much as I have.




































One of the things I love about the cabin is that you are disconnected from the world. No tv. No radio. No phones. You have to find ways to entertain yourselves. When I was a kid we spent hours in the "elephant ears", hiking, exploring and playing in the "tree house". This year was no different. We found an old rope and had a jump roping competition. Bayden and Clinton were the winners by far.











I forgot a diaper when we went for a drive up top so this is Hayley fashioning Milo a diaper out of a grocery bag and some napkins. In case your wondering, it doesn't work.


















4 comments:

Jade, Maclee, Briten & Jalee said...

Em- that looks like sooo much fun!

Amy Pulley said...

I love the pictures! That is so cool that you guys have such an amazing place to escape to. Too bad the bag and napkins didn't work for a diaper... that would be a lot cheaper. And the picture of Milo sitting on the dog is beyond cute!

eve said...

Wow, Gorgeous. Milo is looking so much more grown up and outdoorsy in every series of pictures. So jealous of your fun family campouts. Too bad we are all spread around. Looks like a blast thought!! Glad you guys get out and do it.

FJ Johnson said...

Those pics make me miss the west fork. I am sad we couldn't make it this year. I love the jump rope. Clay's face is awesome in that picture.